Pages

Monday 23 February 2015

The Tale of a Day Dreamer

I happened to be at a GT Bank branch somewhere in Yaba today. My original intention was to go retrieve my ATM card which i had requested for since last year.
From the entrance to the bank, everyone was asking me if i had done my 'BVN' registration (Bank verification number). From the security personnel to the cleaners and then the customer care representatives, cashiers, just about everyone, even some customers sef. I just kept nodding and smiling 'yes' to each of them, luckily for me, i had been tricked by one of them late last year into spending a good chunk of my time doing that registration.
I was able to collect the 'ATM' and upon getting to the point where i would change my pin, the system 'busted' me. Surprisingly my BVN number could not be found anywhere in their records, i had to go and re-register. A mere glance at the lengthy stretch of people on the 'BVN' registration queue sent me into an immediate state of melancholy.

Finally, after several haggling and arguments with the Bank staffs, i reluctantly dragged myself to the tail-end of what could have as well been a railway track.
It was here that i first noticed a teenage girl practically crash into the bank in the company of one of her friends. Both Girls looked distressed and confused, they seemed not to have decided on exactly which section of the bank they were going to.
Suddenly the smaller of both Girls, burst out in muffled cry, with hands flailing in the air like one who just touched a hot object, she was whimpering out loud 'ewoo! they have withdrawn another 60k', my ears stood erect the moment i heard 60k. After about 2 minutes of observing both girls, i realised that she must have misplaced her ATM card and now the lucky thief who seemed to also know her password was having a field day, withdrawing all he could before the bubble could burst.
Even more fortunate for the thief was the fact that the victim had no clue as to whom to meet to stop any further transactions on her account, instead she derived more comfort in crying her heart out, while complaining to the security man who stood attentively swallowing up the whole gist and probably already fleshing it up in his mind. Later tonight, he was going to share this wonderful story of how one of these 'stupid girls wey dey form' got outsmarted. He was going to spice-up this story so much that everyone in the Bar would find it funny rather than touching.
The Lady ahead of me stood up from the chair facing the man in charge of 'BVN' registration, i stepped forward and had my seat, 'good afternoon Sir' the Man blurted, i replied him by handing over my form.
My mind was no longer in the Bank, i was already calculating how i would spend over 60k if peradventure it just fell in my laps like the dude somewhere in Lagos, who was going to have a great day.
A part of my mind wished to request for the location of the withdrawals from the Girl, maybe i could trace the guy, retrieve the Girl's money and hand the thief over to the Police. Yes hand him over to the Police, i just smiled to myself and somewhere in my head i heard my mind scream 'if i hear!'.
Written by: Onyeoziri Favour
Email: Favour-onye.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive