Pages

Thursday 9 April 2015

Letter to a withering Petal

My dear,
i'm scared of your beauty, which like sugar attracts all sorts of creatures, mammals and insects alike.
The other day, both of us walked down the street. I was by your side, watching your swinging hips and matching your sexy legs stride by stride.
You may not know, but that calm evening, when the sun had hidden behind the shade of the clouds, we strolled the streets of Ikeja G.R.A, from Country club to Isaac John. The ear pods where glued to each of your ears, and the only thing you could hear, were not the subtle catcalls and the fetish whispers by the bums on the street. I know this for a surety because the voice of Trey Songz; your favourite artiste was enough to hold you captive for a zillion years. The last time i complained about how you dedicated so much time to a dude who only existed in your iPod, to the detriment of I, you whispered in very apologetic tones, you said, "His songs are so soothing, they calm my nerves" but all i heard was "He calms my nerves". I guess my musky voice upsets your stomach then.
That day however, your eyes still served you right, so you would clearly remember when that bearded dude driving an LR3, slowed to a stop in front of us, no in front of you and absented his eyes from me and our entwined hands. He claimed to need directions, although all his attention was fixed on your oval face and gigantic boobs at the same time. He ravished you with a lusty gaze, but i stood there like a rock, acting unfazed by this affront on my masculinity. Remember you told me to always keep my cool, after that day when my fist had loosened the tooth of that fool who whistled at your butt.

My dear, i write you this letter, just for you to remember how much patience i have paid as price for your extreme exquisiteness.
These days, i fear for us and what we may never be. You have always reassured me with your maroon eyes and soothing voice. Each day you whisper the words " I love you", all my fears are dissipated and i feel confident again.
But today, my confidence is waning, your " I love Yous" seems to be a feeble reminder to the inevitability of fatality in our lives. This morning, upon our arrival from the gym, you smiled at my furrowed brow and said "honey what's wrong", but your voice no longer sounded true, i thought of you as a mere cast in one of my movies. Your demeanor all day has been like that of a seasoned actress on the set of a blockbuster movie. Surely, you have hidden it well, but as a master of acts, i can see beneath all these your make-believe. I know the lines between reality and movies. My dear, let me tell you something you never knew, since the day you laid your innocent eyes upon that muscled new gym instructor, the lines between our reality began to fade in his favour. My dear, you don't know yet, but i would keep this letter for you, and hope against hope itself, that i never have reason to part neither with it nor with you, soon.
Written by:
Onyeoziri Favour.
(Poet, writer, blogger
Rouvafe.blogspot.com)
Email: favouronyeoziri@gmail.com

3 comments:

Blog Archive