Pages

Saturday 30 July 2016

Culture of appreciation



I can still clearly recall the night before I left home to stay at a university of Lagos campus as a fresh undergraduate, I thought my parents would bring out a long scroll of pre-written rules, regulations, instructions and advice to burden my gay mind with. Strange enough, that night went by as every other night, there was no meeting, no ‘come and sit, let’s talk’ moment, we simply said the usual family prayers and I gladly went to bed, my ears unburdened by any rhetoric I had heard all my life. I thought they had saved the ‘long talk’ for morning, so I woke up early, rehearsed both my verbal and non-verbal reaction to their advice, I was bent on being a good son this one time, I couldn’t afford to give one wrong response and then open an extra door for a ‘helluva’ talk. That morning passed and the only talk were random reminders about what and what I had taken or probably forgotten to pack. That afternoon, I left our Ikeja residence for El-Kanemi hall, Unilag. Till today, I never got that long talk about being a good child, not skipping classes, avoiding bad friends, cultists and attending church regularly, that ‘long talk’ never came. Today as I reach another landmark year in my life’s journey, I want to thank my parents for holding their peace and letting me have a relatively free rein in my life’s decisions for the past six years. I am indeed grateful for all the monies, care and affection you have spent all these decades.
I remember the very first day I went to check my hostel accommodation at Unilag. It coincided with the day my would-be room-mates also decided to check the hostel. I was un-obviously the youngest of them all, I was free-spirited and had a nerve for saying more than necessary, that same day, one even threatened to beat me up if I didn’t shut up, I did. I spoke freely throughout our stay in the room, sometimes I got on their nerves, other times large portions of food miraculously disappeared from my cooking pot, one Sunday morning I bought a loaf of sliced bread, took two out of it and left for church, when I came back, only four slices were left “what a mighty God we serve”. I just want to thank my roommates for not bullying and beating me up all those times I was searching for portions of food that had voluntarily left my pot for someone else’ plate. Thank you guys.

I can’t remember the first day of class in Unilag, but I can remember my first set of friends, Paul, Tosin, Kaka, Chimaobi and the others that came along the way prominent among whom were my other course mates, faculty and departmental executives, roommates and fans (yeah, I have fans). Paul is the best friend and brother anyone could ask for, thanks for all the free meals and for taking me round all the eateries in Unilag. Thanks Tosin for all the funny jokes, the huge sense of humour and anger tantrums that you occasionally threw. Kaka, I don’t even understand you, I swear. But you are some funny dude, always happy and ready to try new things, thanks for all the arguments and the occasional words of encouragement. Chimaobi took me out on all sort of events, from exclusive Samsung product launch parties to whatever social event that held on the Island and even to the movies. Thanks for the immense exposure.

In my second year, I was lucky to be in a room full of matured, mostly final year students, most of them were faculty executives, from them I realized that school politics was not meant for cultists and hooligans, I realized that you could bear responsibilities and still have good grades, I learnt that serving as a leader was an opportunity I could exploit. To Pastor Lala, Egbon Nesoso, Fadeyi ororo and everyone who actively and passively influenced my later participation in school politics, I say a huge thank you.

By my third year in Unilag, I was assigned an eight-man room, by the end of the session, we had about twenty permanent occupants and over fifty people who had slept in it at one point or the other. Of all these, Seun and Dami emerged my brothers and indeed the only two solid relationships I brought out of the room at the end of that year. To Seun and Dami thank you for all those weekly cinema outings, the free meals and for opening my heart to the habit of giving.

To my awesome Cousins, especially Da Nke, who have always taken a special interest in my wellbeing, I am super grateful and pray you all never have cause to regret in Life.

I remember clearly the day I printed my Nysc call-up letter, I was short of words when I saw’ Gombe state’ boldly written on it, although I later redeployed to Kaduna state, I am super grateful to all the friends I met in Kaduna, peter slim, Ajebo, pee-pee, Jessi, the whole of soldout church and every other person who made my stay in Kaduna totally memorable and worthwhile.

Now to the present, 02 academy has been awesome so far. I remember two months ago, when I joined this powerful movement, a group of young people whose detest for the ordinary has led them to acquire the necessary skill set to live as Demi-gods who would control the success of businesses and indeed brands. 02 academy is undoubtedly one of the best things that has happened to me in this lifetime. I am super appreciative of Mr. O, Marie and Uche for being the best of instructors anyone could have. To Mayowa, Ay, peter, Bj, Salad, Aisha, Ejiro, Chinenye, Yinka, Michael and every other 02 Academy student who has been a part of this journey, I say a huge thank you for being so much fun and bearing with my endless funny interjections in class. For being such a dogged person, and a self-less and cheerful giver, I especially dedicate this line to Kome, I hope God never forgets your kindness, but visits you soon as he did Cornelius in the Bible.

This long vote of thanks would be grossly incomplete if I do not mention my two awesome siblings, the best anyone could ask for. There progresses makes my heart leap for joy and their insatiable thirst for success even makes me love them more.

To everyone whom I have intentionally or forgetfully omitted, this is just a short letter of appreciation. I promise to include much more people when I write my 500-page auto-biography (that’s if you all promise to purchase a copy apiece).

You may be wondering why I have gone to such a great length to write this long essay, it’s not because I have nothing better to do with my time but because I believe that appreciation should be given to whom its due while they are alive, while they can read, when it can actually make them better people, encourage them, lift their hearts and strengthen them. All I am saying in essence is that whatever dirge you would have read on someone’s funeral ceremony, write it down and send it to the person write away for the dead have no ears.

You may also want to read my poem titled ‘the dead have no ears’.

Thank you all for your wishes on this special day.

Favour Onyeoziri
(Creative, humble & grateful)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive