Pages

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Rebounding In Relationships, The Genesis

It all began on that fateful night of 21st January 2014. The tuneful birds had all retired to their nests, the ever grazing ruminants, to their sheds. Even the supreme of all creations; man, had responded to nature's beckon following the day's hustle and bustle. The only evident sounds which punctured the night's serenity were from the indefatigable croaking of frogs from nearby  creeks, chirping crickets and rustling
Of leaves. The lustrous moon and its innumerable tiny comrades illuminated the night. This very night will forever be engraved on my heart as I relive every drama that unfolded.
We first crossed paths at a religious gathering in early November, 2014. We exchanged personal
contacts and our id's on the different social media platforms and frequent communication was ignited.
She portrayed a smile that could melt the most unyielding of hearts. She was tall, endearing and delectable, she radiated impeccable grace, charm and glamour. It only took a short time for our fondness for each other to blossom. Co-incidentally both of us hailed from Ibadan, which also served as an added advantage. Gradually, it seemed that fate would smile on me on my first ever love odyssey, i mused to myself.
About two months later, on the 21st of January 2015, following a series of events that ended
the Previous year, she said "yes" to my proposal to be her boyfriend (or bae as youths now label it). I felt at the apex of the world. I was heads over heels in love. Being a novice in the art, I sobbed emotionally, taking into cognizance all the spiteful remarks friends pelted at me for  waiting this long to make my 1st advances at aged 22.
I instantly harboured a sense of fulfillment and belonging. The following day and beyond proved to be passionate as I began learning, mastering and perfecting the art of constant communication, affectionate gestures et al. She was my queen of incalculable value and I was willing to make her savour every moment of our togetherness.
Most discernably, we concurred to eschew pre-marital sexual relations.
Both parties were fully aware of its dire and unwholesome aftermath.
Alas, fate dealt us a massive blow. Lo and behold, our love tale came to a screeching halt after a month. Several circumstances which sickens me to elucidate on, ranging from parental interference to the question of long term compatibility pulverized our love tale. We mutually parted
ways on February 22nd and the first few nights sequel to the break up turned weeping rites for me. My world came crumbling and I wept inconsolably at the debris of the love foundation I had painstakingly built.
Naivety came to the fore. Handling such turmoil for the 1st time ever, I became utterly distraught, outrightly embittered and conspicuously distressed. Everywhere I went , people  instantly noticed the forlorn figure I had cut. I was a mere shadow of my former effervescent self.
I was so blind sided by despair that I complained to a close pal of mine about how I did not get a fair share of fate, it cheated on me inexplicably. That was my perception. I further asserted that I was going to keep loving everybody around me but "loathe" "love" itself.  His grimace spoke
volumes. He knew I was experiencing such ordeal for the first time.
Deborah, the lady in question was equally shattered and agonized. Unlike me, she already had two dates before fate brought us together. As if undergoing such predicament wasn't enough, some friends began instigating me to plunge
into another relationship as the former wasn't fated to last. The pangs of torment resurfaced, rearing its ugly head. How can a relationship bereft of ulterior motives and sexual gratifications come to an abrupt end, Just like that? I moped everywhere I found myself. I found it hard to concentrate at work and home. I was so disoriented that i even turned distasteful and repugnant to my siblings. I retorted at the slightest of provocations. I however cautiously eluded the use of invectives.
The real deal now was how am I to cope with loneliness now that there is a vacuum in my heart? How was I to respond to the profound pressure of rebounding as posited  by peer
groups and associates?
End of Part 1
Written by: Gbadamosi Bidemi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive