Pages

Tuesday 24 February 2015

A Night To Forget - A Short Story

It was 9:28pm and the bustling university Campus had fizzled into a quietness known only to graveyards and funerals. Along the deserted sidewalks, the crickets and frogs relished the sound of their own voices, one call by the small animals was replied by another and soon it seemed that a competition had ensued between the insects and the crocking amphibians.
I walked silently, hastily shuffling by a young couple who strolled cozily hand in hand. Somewhere at the back of mind, i could still recall stories of the victims of this parts especially at night. Phones and other valuables had been willingly surrendered by their owners to gun-trotting hoodlums, who wasted no time in stashing their loots and disappearing into nowhere even before their victims could recover from the quivers of having faced death and emerged alive.
Gradually, i approached the second half of the long sidewalk, this side was besmeared by a swamp which housed a mini-forest, the edge of which had been quickly converted into an illegal dump site. Usually, when one got to this section of the road, your hands would instinctively move to preserve the nose from the odious smell of rotting cadavers and household waste.

Passing through the most dangerous part of my walk, i soon emerged on the more safer parts. It was here that my strides relaxed once more and my heart came under the influence of ease once more.
Soon enough, i shifted my attention from watching out for bad guys to actually enjoying the scenery around me, it was at this point that i saw the shapely figure, walking a few feet ahead of me. She did a very good job of swinging her small waist from side to side, infarct one would have thought of her as a model on a fashion run way. From the contours beneath her skinny jeans and tank top, She appeared beautiful from behind and i was more than convinced that my expectations of her face would not be dashed.
It took me less than a minute to decide that i would make a move on her. It had been a very long and boring day, after all and some sort of late night sport would not be totally out of order. Gradually, my confidence began to wane and as an excuse, I decided to play a little game, i decided that if i could catch up with her, then we would surely have a chat, but peradventure she did not slow down and my gradually slacking pace could not catch up, then we weren't meant to be.
The game was on, i trailed her cautiously and trained my footsteps to match my inner fears. Thrice She looked back and i could barely make out the expression of her face from the dim illumination the dull street light provided.
As we neared my Hostel, i quickened my pace, suddenly, the sight of my brick refuge had filled me with a strange amount of confidence. Confidently i beckoned on her, she seemed not to have heard, in a low voice i demanded 'Hello, Hello, Hello' and the third time, she gently turned her head around. Somewhere In her mind of minds, She congratulated herself on having dome a good job of not appearing cheap. As she turned,  I bellowed in a nice voice 'Hello, can you hold-up for a minute?' In that fleeting second, she quickly appraised me, then made a show of quickening her pace then decided to slow down a bit. It seemed she was as much in need of company as i was, i dodged an oncoming vehicle, then quickly fell in line beside her. 'Hello how are you?' she replied 'fine and you?' I did not respond, my mind was busy cooking up another question 'hope you've had a great day?' I muttered, She gave me a faint smile, then my confidence began to drain. 'I am George and its really nice to meet you', then i managed to corner her and tell her how i have been following her for sometime, how i wished i had caught up earlier on and so on, then my clever mind quickly added the stupid words, 'I wish i could know you a little more, but i'm already at my destination, guess we would see some other time', she gave me a faint smile, howbeit laced with disappointment, how come the only guy who had approached her tonight decided to cower away so quickly? 'My name is Lola she said' i smiled and bade her goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive